If you have been looking into rejuvenating your smile, it’s almost a certainty that you have heard of dental veneers. Dental veneers allows patients to get that ‘Hollywood Smile’ they have been wanting to help improve their self-confidence and lifestyle. A better smile improves not only your personal life, but your work life as well. A common question that comes up regarding dental veneers is how long they ultimately last. In this article, we will discuss what dental veneers are, how long they can last you, when they should be replaced, and other lingering questions that you may have.
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are small porcelain shells that are bonded to your own teeth to mask any tooth imperfections that you may have. They are normally completed in two to three appointments depending on the difficulty of your particular case.
- Appointment 1: An initial consultation appointment is set with your dentist to go over your treatment plan, and what you are wanting out of your treatment. Impressions and study models will be fabricated during this appointment
- Appointment 2: Your teeth that will receive the veneers will be prepared using a dental drill. After the preparations are completed, an impression or mold will be taken of the teeth and sent to the lab for veneer fabrication
- Appointment 3: Your dentist will bond the veneers onto your teeth.
How long will my dental veneers last?
On average, dental veneers last around 10-15 years with good maintenance. At this time, most dentists will recommend getting them replaced. We have a lot of patients that have had the same veneers for over 20 years! The longevity of the porcelain shells will come down to how well they were made by your dentist, and how well you take care of them.
If your underlying teeth begin to decay under the veneers due to poor oral hygiene habits, this can ultimately lessen the lifespan of the veneers themselves. In some cases, decay can lead to root canal therapy under the dental veneers.
Although the porcelain used is very durable, chewing into hard substances such as ice can make them susceptible to fracture and lessen their integrity over time.
Veneers, similar to natural teeth, can also stain. Coffee, wine, and colored foods and beverages can stain them. Your dentist will be able to polish the stains off during your cleaning appointments.
How often do veneers need replacing?
At Best Dental, we recommend replacing your dental veneers every 10 years. The chances of decay are great even with pristine dental hygiene. Larger cavities can end up needing root canals and possibly dental extractions if the decay spreads far enough. Always make sure you check with your dental team to evaluate the status of your dental veneers.
Can veneers last 20 years?
If your dental team does a great job making your veneers with a high quality laboratory, then they can last you up to twenty years. Good habits, proper oral hygiene, and regular visits to the dentists are all requirements to make veneers last this long.
Can you bite an apple with veneers?
You definitely can. The porcelain that is used to construct the veneers are very strong and durable, and should be able to resist the force of biting into an apple.
How can I make my veneers last longer?
The key to making them last is to take care of your veneers just like the rest of your smile. The following are steps you can take to assure your veneers last as long as possible:
- Regular brushing and flossing of your teeth
- Regular check ups with your dentist
- Making sure you wear a mouth guard if you are involved in physical activities
- If you tend to grind your teeth, make sure you have a custom nightguard. Otherwise your veneers will either break or fall off.
Dental veneers have revolutionized cosmetic dentistry over the past two decades. If you happen to be in the greater Houston area, come visit our team today for a complimentary cosmetic consultation with Dr. Jasmine Naderi. We hope to meet you soon!