As dentists we are trained to preserve teeth whenever we can. Unfortunately, in some instances, a tooth cannot be saved and a tooth extraction is your best option. An extraction is needed when it’s damaged by crowding, trauma, or infected according to the American Dental Association.
At Best Dental, our office provides pain free tooth extraction services in Richmond, Sugar Land, and Katy, TX at an affordable price. Below are some commonly asked questions about tooth extractions. Please feel free to read them, and if you find yourself in need of a dental extraction, call our office today.
Frequently Asked Questions (Teeth Extractions)
What is a tooth extraction?
Tooth extraction, also known as tooth removal, is the process of removing a tooth from its socket. Some major reasons why a tooth needs to be removed is as follows:
- The tooth is causing crowding
- Space is need for braces for teeth to move around
- A tooth has completely broken off
- The tooth has gotten infected and can no longer be saved
- Gum disease has destroyed the surrounding bone tissue and the tooth must be removed
- Wisdom Teeth removal
What are the main types of extractions?
- Simple Extractions: A simple extraction is a form of tooth extraction that does not involve the reflection of your gum tissue to remove the tooth. The tooth is removed from its socket directly using extraction instruments.
- Surgical Extraction: This type of tooth extraction requires the reflection of gum tissue and the removal of bone tissue to remove the remaining fragments of tooth structure that is underneath your gums. Usually a surgical handpiece is used to drill the surrounding tissue to gain access to the tooth.
The former type of extraction is considered cheaper and less expensive because it requires less work to remove the tooth from a patients mouth.
Is a tooth extraction painful?
With proper local anesthetic, a tooth extraction is not painful at all. At Best Dental, we high a highly trained staff that will make our tooth extraction experience a breeze. We also have sedation dentistry options for those that are highly anxious about their tooth removal procedure.